ScifiHero.NET
Sign in to follow this  
moviebuff5

Deck Crew Coveralls

Has anyone found a match for the Deck Crew coveralls?

Red Kap has orange snap front but they use the wrong snaps.

UniFirst has snap front with the right snaps, but no orange or white. I have tried color remover and bleach. The color remover hardly made a dent and bleach corroded the fabric around the snaps.

Update: I am going with the Red Kap since they are pretty much spot-on apart from the snap style.

Here is a quasi-tutorial of what I have done so far.

Orange snap front coveralls

RIT Tangerine dye (for cuff extensions and Velcro)

White cotton twill (if cuff extensions are needed)

Iron-in craft (heavy) weight interfacing

8" of 2" white Velcro (for removable patch)

3M Scotchlite 1" plastic coated yellow tape

3M Scotchlite 1" fabric silver tape (for piping on arm cuffs and chest plate)

1/8" cotton cord (for piping)

Elmer's Craft Bond fabric & paper glue (for attaching yellow Scotchlite before sewing)

Corrugated rubber runner (for arm cuffs and base chest plate)

New Leg Cuffs (6.5" high)

DSC00940.JPG

Two 2" white Velcro strips custom dyed and sewn together

DSC00941.JPG

Traced 3.5" diameter circle on back of Velcro

DSC00942.JPG

Coveralls without grommets and plastic shields

DSC00947-1.jpg

Optional gloves

DSC00949.JPG

Very nice, however, you've forgotten one minor detail on the cuffs: the big arse grommets on both sides of the cuff.

Chief.jpg

This is the one detail that has fustrated Dan & myself and kept us from ever making a set of these coveralls. The problem is not so much as the grommet but the dye needed for grommets of that size; quite pricey and it wasn't worth the cost just for for 8 grommets between 2 costumes. We have, briefly, discussed the possiblity of banner/flag shops and seeing if they could do it but I don't think that Dan has ever seriously looked into it. The other option would to be either somehow fake the grommet, find an alternate means of attaching the grommet without the dye, or simply replacing with something cheaper and easier to attach to the cuffs.

Note the description: "Coveralls without grommets and plastic shields."

I know they are missing and should have them by next weekend.

The parts list only reflects what I have and know works.

Note the description: "Coveralls without grommets and plastic shields."

I know they are missing and should have them by next weekend.

The parts list only reflects what I have and know works.

Ahh, I didn't read the post that thoroughly it would seem. :mellow: My bad.

Boys,

just a thought, but if you have a fabric upolstry type store, they might have the grommets you need, as they can be used for curtains, (i belive Ikea even has shower curtains that use these giant grommets)

i know i have personally seen them in the desing/fabric district in Toronto... Good Luck

Thanks jellicat,

That is where I am heading, but I have to travel to PHX.

As for the cost of a die, there are also tool-less grommets, but they do not have the same look as a standard grommet.

I will find a way to get the standard grommets to work and include it in the tutorial, even if it is just begging the fabric shop to use the die there.

I actually bought a 25 yard roll of 4" wide loop side of velcro for Riceballs and my coveralls too! I guess I will start working on this sometime soon as well. Nice job!

Oh yeah, did I miss something before? I thought all of the reflective tape was yellow and not silver. Did I miss something? Pictures man, Picture!

Check these out. They are plastic and do not need tools...

giant.jpg

Cosplay supplies

DUDE that is a total find, all hail the cosplayers!!!!

Check these out. They are plastic and do not need tools...

Those are the best tool-less grommets I have seen.

Oh yeah, did I miss something before? I thought all of the reflective tape was yellow and not silver. Did I miss something? Pictures man, Picture!

There is silver piping around the chest plate which I believe is Scotchlite.

In this photo, the cuffs look more like tape, but in others it seems to be piping like the chest plate.

Also, it looks like I need to get thinner cord for the piping.

silver.jpg

Here you can see the silver around the chest plate seems to be reflecting, and there are a couple of spots reflecting on the cuffs as well. It has similar properties in other behind the scenes photos taken with a flash as well.

groundcrew.jpg

you can make your own piping using the tape you bought..

get cording or string slightly smaller than the diameter you need for the piping. Then place it on the centre of your tape, fold the tape in half, and roll it back and fourth to snug it into the fold.

To secure the cord, i usually baste the tape, (or bias or fabric) at the sewing machiene using pins to hold it til it is sewn

one should think that you could prolly iron the tape together with a bit a fusing, that would work too.

now you have piping exactly the dimentions you need!

I am back from the fabric shop. They had tool rental available for $30/day or $45 for 3 days but it was broken. They only had #12 grommets and those were nearly 2.5" O.D. and when I scaled the grommets for the coveralls they seem to be 2.0" O.D. Additionally, they only had half of the #12 grommet in antique brass. I would have had to get black and weather it or buy two grommets for every one I needed in addition to it being the wrong size. Not as productive a trip as I would have liked.

At least they were not out of black snaps this time.

Sounds like the non tool plastic ones might be a good alternative as they are listed with a 2.2in diameter... The only thing is they do not come in bronze. Matte gold might work.

$15 - Giant Eyelets - NEW! 3033311 black - 3033312 granite - 3033313 matte gold - 3033314 matte silver

Plastic - 10 pieces per pack - No tools needed

Dimensions: Overall outside diameter: 2.2 " (55mm) - Interior diameter: 1.4" (36mm)

Suitable for curtains

I am having trouble nailing down the details of the pockets on the vest, the pocket liners, and the loops on the left leg. I used to think they were all the same material and were what was used on the flight suit, but now I think they may be different. The vest pockets seem to have a finer texture than the pocket liners and is thicker than the material on the flight suit. Right now I am leaning toward a carbon fiber textured vinyl for the vest and loops, and flight suit material for the pocket liners.

Thoughts?

I've been trying to figure out the pockets on this too, but I think you should rule out the flightsuit rubber for it. The stuff on the flightsuits is either rubber or foam rubber and is extremely thin.I believe it's too thin to support the weight of the tools and stuff in the pockets and wouldn't hold up well under normal wear and tear hanging unsupported as a pocket.

I'd have to check, but I think this stuff has vertical lines on it like on the cuffs where the stuff on the flightsuits is all small dots.

Just to clarify, the vest pockets are the tool pockets and I agree the flight suit material is too thin. The pockets I think may have the flight suit material are the pockets on the coveralls.

Pocket.jpg

Vest.jpg

Carbon fiber textured vinyl (I have a swatch of this on order to see how thick it is.)

carbon.jpg

And just for fun, an updated picture of my progress. The corrugation is a bit fine, but I got it without reference pictures.

DSC00959.JPG

Okay, I see what you mean, and I agree. I bought a bathroom scale with the flightsuit rubber on it, someone else is casting this stuff right now, but if it doesn't happen then I'll make some up for us.

bs_th100.jpg

Here's the scale I bought, as you can see, it has a nice sized piece of the rubber on it.

Have you considered the reverse side of the vest rubber? That's what Dan & I were thinking when we were looking into making this costume. Of course, the rubber we got may be different from your stiff so the reverse side of it may not be the same, but it is something to consider. If Dan still has the rubber matting he bought for this project, maybe he could take some pictures of the front and back side of it for comparison.

Mine won't work. The mesh pattern but it has breaks every foot. Additionally there are random gaps in some places and excess rubber in others.

That is a good suggestion though. Also, looking at some side views of the pockets, it looks like you are correct and it is just the corrugated rubber reversed.

I would be interested in seeing what Dan got and knowing where he got it. Mine came from Home Depot.

Edit: The remaining rubber is not as bad as the back of the vest, but I don't know if it will work.

back.JPG

I got mine from Ace Hardware. I not sure what I did with it since I moved to Texas, but I got a small roll of it around here. I might buy some more. I got my yellow reflective tape so far... I guess I got a ways to go!

Here are the fabric samples, unfortunately they are both backed in white, but that is easily fixed with fabric dye. I think the one on the left is the more accurate of the two. I still need to go to Ace to get a sample of that to compare. Thoughts?

DSC00966.JPG

DSC00968.JPG

The first time I ever did any extra work on Battlestar, they dressed me as a member of the deck crew (I've since been mostly an officer, and a marine once).

Here's a couple of shots of my coveralls:

P5150004.jpg

P5150005.jpg

Thank you for the pics Zeppo!

Were the left and right pockets different materials as they appear to be in the photo?

I don't suppose you noticed if the vest pockets (your left) were made of the same material as the vest and turned backwards?

Thanks again!

Thank you for the pics Zeppo!

Were the left and right pockets different materials as they appear to be in the photo?

I don't suppose you noticed if the vest pockets (your left) were made of the same material as the vest and turned backwards?

Thanks again!

Yes, the pockets are a different material. Here's a close-up for you:

P5150005-detail.jpg

The material on the pockets is too thin to be the same as the "vest" material.

It looks like the right pockets (left side of pic) are made from the same dotted rubber material that's found on the pilot's vests while the pockets on the other side is similar but with smaller dots. Given how hard of a time people have been having finding the dotted material for the pilot's vest I can't imagine how hard it would be find the same material but with smaller dots.

Here's another question for you, is the vest fastened on to the coveralls by reversed snaps or are they riveted? In other words, does the vest come off or is it permanently attached? For that matter, have you been able to ID all of the tools that they set you up with?

I seem to recall the material for the pockets on the right looking more woven, than dotted.

I never tried to take the vest off, I had assumed it was permanently attached, but it would make sense for it to be removable for purposes of cleaning. If I get the chance, I'll investigate further.

The tools were all random bits - most of which were real tools, like pliers, probes, etc. Lots of little panited boxes and the like. I think I had a volt meter in there.

Can someone list some reputable sources for snap-front coveralls?

I tried the Red Kap website, and Lab Safety Supply Company's website, and had no luck at either. The only other place I know to look is Dickies (which AFAIK isn't right)

I know 12 places to get BDU's, but coveralls... not so much.

Thank you.