ScifiHero.NET
Sign in to follow this  
moviebuff5

Deck Crew Coveralls

I went with the Red Kap snap front just because they were easy to find. I never did find the correct coveralls. UniFirst has the correct style snap but no white or orange coveralls and they are really color-fast. I tried several batches of Rit Color remover and even bleach and all I did was slightly lighten them and completely destroy them in the bleach. I am going to use them for a zombie outfit now.

hey! I'm new around these parts, name's Abi, I'm from Australia. Earlier this year I decided to make a Cally costume after hearing that Aaron Douglas was going to be at our local convention. It was pretty easy to put together, hardest part was the rubber vest. Although it's not accurate, I was really pleased with the results, and Aaron was thoroughly impressed too! When I got his autograph, we had a bit of a chat about the costume and what I still had to add to it (whcih I'm hoping to upgrade this year - *finger crossed* Nicki Clyne will be there next year!). I've got some leather to use as pockets for the vest, and I'm contemplating putting a tuck int he leg to simulate the cuff. I also want to make the proper undershirt; unfortunatley I ran out of time and just had to go with a white tank top and black reversed racer back. So, here's my costume:

Here's how it started, just plain orange overalls:

Cally003.jpg

Add some reflective tape:

Cally006.jpg

Then the patch, vest, grease, cuffs, and your'e done:

IMGP1838.jpg

This photo shows the grease really well! I was originally really nervous about dirtying it up, and was going to go with charcoal and watered down paint. But i completely ran out of time, and didn't want to turn up spotless. So before I put it on, I rubbed it all over the tire in the back (we'd had a flat tire a couple of days beforehand so it was all dirty) much to my mothers horror! Then I put on a pair of gloves, wiped out some more of the grease and dirt fromt he tire and started running it all the general places - thighs, pockets, knees, elbows, butt, and stomach. I also got on my knees int eh dirt a bit. I'd still like to take to it with a bit of sandpaper, but I'm pretty happy with it. Aaron loved that I was dirty (and especially loved that I had grease on my back and butt). The smears on my face were done with eyeliner that I scribbled on my hand and then wiped onto my face:

P1010209.jpg77432563ax1RvXZA.jpg

I loved when people took flash photos:

e65dscd.jpg

And finally, Photos with Aaron!! The second one was the one that he got his aide to take! He was really excited to see a few of us in BSG gear and asked if he oculd have a photos with us!!

77432579zAR5dmII.jpgSupanova2007_MichelleMunro_01.jpg

I couldn't actually have the Cally fringe for the con because of other costumes, but I have the fringe now!!

Nice job! I got to get back to working on my Ground Crew costume and dirty it up! Welcome to the community!

Abi, the coveralls look great! Great idea to add grease.

Dan, I finally got the first grommet attached. I used a ball-peen hammer and a block of pine to set it. The grommet was slightly flattened, but it works.

grommet.JPG

The dirt is from the orange work gloves. I have been using them to work on my car, and I used them to hold the grommet while setting it.

I was going to use some plastic "brass" colored grommets on mine. The orange has a slight pink to it, this is what is referred to as "Cal Trans Orange", and is different from "County Jail" orange which is a bright orange.

Do you have a pattern for the vest that you don't mind sharing?

The batteries for my camera just died. I will get the pattern posted as soon as they are charged.

Edit:

Here is the pattern. Just extend the back as needed.

vestpattern.jpg