ScifiHero.NET
Sign in to follow this  
Honcho

BSG Red Prisoner's Costume (Athena/Boomer)

I thought I would share some information on a little costume project I was commissioned to do for TCF's very on Athena. She wanted a Athena/Boomer Prisoner's costume but didn't have time to do it herself in time for D*Con. She supplied the overalls.

Here are some pictures of the prisoner costume:

PDVD_373.jpg

BSG05EP207_957CS.jpg

First you start with a Red pair of overalls with open top pockets, an elastic or banded waist. Or get a pair in white COTTON! (The pair we got was white and made 60% polyester 40% cotton).

PICT0811.jpg

If its not 100% Cotton, you end up using a lot of Dye.

PICT0824.jpg

And you get this:

PICT0831.jpg

So I had to run out and get two spray cans of fabric paint:

PICT0833.jpg

A side by side. On the left, after painted, on the right just the dye job.

PICT0832.jpg

After the paint job. I put an unpainted but dyed panel on it for comparison.

PICT0834.jpg

OK before you dye (or paint) the coveralls, remove the two chest pockets carefully:

PICT0816.jpg

PICT0817.jpg

The shoulder pen pocket:

I took one of the chest pockets that I dyed and painted

PICT0832.jpg

and cut into a rectangle 6" x 3.5" with the already finished pocket top as the top of the pen pocket I building. Fold over three sides (not the finished top edge) into a finished pocket that is 5" tall by 3" wide.

pocket-height.jpg

pocket-Width.jpg

and is place 5" down from the shoulder seam, then pin down and sew.

pocket-fromshoulder.jpg

The chest panels:

I used a textured but still smooth pleather black fabric material.

I drew out 2 octagons on to the back of the black fabric that measured 6" tall by 8" wide, and have 1" diagnals on each corner then added 1/2" around the sides. When I cut out the fabric, I cut out the edges near the diagnals so I could fold them over and not cause any binding or overlap.

panel-pattern.jpg

Then I pinned the two panels down about centered between the top should seam and the "belt" reinforcement.

panel-pinning.jpg

I sewed really close to the edge of the panels, and found that the panel materials we sticking to the foot of the sewning machine, so I used a business card between the panels and the foot of the sewning machine so it would slide nicely.

And this is what I got (after I dirtied it up with some black paint.

PICT0890.jpg

PICT0891.jpg

PICT0892.jpg

As a bonus, I made these too:

prisonsuit5__front1.jpg

I went to Wal-Mat and bought these for about $4.00 each, toy metal handcuffs, then Home Depot to get a 1/5"dia metal pipe, a 1/4" dia x 12" long threaded rod, 6 locking 1/4" dia washers, two 1/4" dia locking bolts, and two capped bolts:

PICT0878.jpg

I cut two off two smaller pipes that were 2" long from the metal pipe. Then Assembled in this order. Left to Right: Cap bolt - Locking bolt, washer, center link on handcuff#1 chain - washer - 2" pipe - washer - center link on handcuff#2 chain - washer - 2" pipe - washer - center link on handcuff#3 chain - washer - locking bolt - Cap bolt.

Before closing off the last cap bolt, I bolted it all together and cut the end of the threaded rod about 1/4" past the end of the locking bolt, then I tightened down the cap bolt.

The final product:

PICT0901.jpg

PICT0899.jpg

The final item was one of these:

PDVD_389-1.jpg

COP357.jpg

It was a learning experience. I might make some more Tri-cuffs for my BSG Marine Costume.

Nice tutorial Dan!

I'm not sure if it works for pleather, but you can "de-gloss" the

surface of leather by using a fine grit sandpaper. I did this to my

Indy jacket and it looks like its been lived in... for more than an

hour since getting it. ;)

Well done!

Russ

You can also use 1 ply of tissue paper between the pleather/vinyl and the foot. Sew through it, then remove it with a damp washcloth (the tissue disolves and is wiped away). After all the frakkin vinyl coats I have made the last couple of years, that has worked the best for me. It also works for sewwing neoprene...as I just found out :P ).

You can also use 1 ply of tissue paper between the pleather/vinyl and the foot. Sew through it, then remove it with a damp washcloth (the tissue disolves and is wiped away). After all the frakkin vinyl coats I have made the last couple of years, that has worked the best for me. It also works for sewwing neoprene...as I just found out :P ).

I'll have to try this. I was using sheets of paper. LOL!

nicely done, Dan!

so, do you have photos of the TCF member IN this costume? would like to see it on a person after all your hard work!

I might try this costume - except finding a coverall/overall/flightsuit that fits me is not that easy...!

I would add some pictures of a Prisoner Jumpsuit used in the series to this excellent tutorial.

yLT6i.jpg

Remember to make the costume as a prisoner (seen in the episode 'Bastille Day') more "real", I suggest you age it.

The costumes as a prisoner of the series, such as mechanics, they are not clean and pressed, but are consumed

and dirty.

bsgprisoner.th.jpg numberbsgprisoner.th.jpg frontbsgprisoner.th.jpg

backbsgprisoner.th.jpg bsgprisoner.th.jpg

... and remember to vote for Tom Zarek! :)

Yeah I aged the one I made too. I used a combination of spritzing on deluted black and brown dyes, crumpling it up and leaving out in the sun for a day or two, craping the knees, elbows and seat on the concrete to beat it up a bit.

Like the mechanics coverall, dirtying it up is very important to make it look right, otherwise you look like a bright orange carrot or pumpkin depending on your body type! ;)