ScifiHero.NET
Sign in to follow this  
fredmdbud

OD fatigues construction journal

I always like seeing costumes as they are being created, it is very helpful and I learn a lot about construction and sewing. It looks great so far!

maybe it's me, but I thought the shoulder suede pieces and the webbing on the pockets were forest green and not brown?

or did the flash alter the coloring on the suede and webbing?

(I know my OD flightsuit looks brown under some lighting conditions)

maybe it's me, but I thought the shoulder suede pieces and the webbing on the pockets were forest green and not brown?

or did the flash alter the coloring on the suede and webbing?

(I know my OD flightsuit looks brown under some lighting conditions)

Under fluorescent lights, the material is indeed a dark green; in light that has more yellow to it (incandescent, daylight, etc), it looks brown.

On the show, the patches sometimes appear green, other times brownish - it might be the light thing, although it has been mentioned in the video podcasts that they are always doing color adjustments during editing. The patches on the khaki fatigues, though, are a consistent brown, which leads me to believe that a different material is used on those.

With the availability of photos of uniforms sold in the recent Battlestar Galactica auctions, I revised the shoulder patterns, which appear much simpler than thought. Later uniforms also appear to omit the shoulder seams - much more straightforward. Hope to get around to implementing this change soon ...

Hi, Im currently making a BSG BDU, but sewing is not my strongest point and was hoping that someone would be able to give be advice on how to sew the suede patches onto the shoulders of the BDU as it seems to be skipped here and in the guide written by lostncybr which is a sham eas they are very good and helpfull guides, i'm just stumped on this issue.

Any help would be greatfully received :wub:

Hi, Im currently making a BSG BDU, but sewing is not my strongest point and was hoping that someone would be able to give be advice on how to sew the suede patches onto the shoulders of the BDU as it seems to be skipped here and in the guide written by lostncybr which is a sham eas they are very good and helpfull guides, i'm just stumped on this issue.

Any help would be greatfully received :wub:

I don't have natural tailoring ability myself, so I feel your pain. I'd recommend using a washable, temporary fabric glue, used sparingly, to tack the material in place for stitching. It allows you to play with the placement before the actual sewing, even try the garment on for a final check before putting it under the needle.

As for the actual sewing, it's a simple straight stitch on a machine.

I created another set of shoulder panels with the new pattern and stitched them on to a blouse, taking pictures along the way. Picasa photo journal updated.

If there are any questions or comments, please add them here and not in the photo journal --- I tend to miss or overlook the comments there.