ScifiHero.NET
Raingod

Question on BDU

Hello, i'm looking at making a BSG BDU, and have look at the guide and found where i can get the BDU, but i am confuse on if we use a BDU coat or shirt? Cause in the instructions they use a 4 pocket top, but those i can only find in coats and not shirts.

Hello, I'm looking at making a BSG BDU, and have looked at the guide and found where I can get the BDU, but I am confused on if we use a BDU coat or shirt? Cause in the instructions they use a 4 pocket top, but those I can only find in coats and not shirts.

What's used on the shirt are the pocket BDU shirts like those used by various police and SWAT units across the US but for the purpose of the conversion you'll want the 4 pocket BDU blouses (coats) like those formerly issued to the US military. The reason for this is that you want the lower pockets for material with which to make the belt loops with otherwise you'd have buy matching ripstop fabric to use for making the belt loops.

If you do use the 2 pocket BDU tactical shirts/blouses you will just need to take off the epilets, but you will need extra fabric to make your belt loops for your pants. You could get your pants in "long" and that will get you enough material to make the belt loops, but you will have to shorten the pants and refinish the hem of the pant. The ties at the pants ends are not used on BSG and are removed.

My question really was do you use a coat or shirt for the costume? Like would a coat be to thick? Like would this Propper BD 4-Pocket Coat work, just asking because since I will mostly be ordering online since there are no army surplus stores around I don't want to be stuck order the wrong thing.

My question really was do you use a coat or shirt for the costume? Like would a coat be to thick? Like would this Propper BD 4-Pocket Coat work, just asking because since I will mostly be ordering online since there are no army surplus stores around I don't want to be stuck order the wrong thing.

There really is no difference between a coat and a shirt except for the number of pockets and the epaulets on the shirt, the terms coat and shirt are just terms used to distinguish between between the two types of tops. What makes the difference in thickness is the material that it's made of with poly/cotton ripstop being the thinnest, followed by cotton ripstop, and lastly by nylon/cotton (nyco) twill. Regardless of whether you choose to buy a shirt or a coat you'll want to make sure that it's made from ripstop cotton which is what pretty much everybody uses for their BSG BDUs and is almost certainly what they used onscreen as well.

Hi,

what is the brand name used for the BDU in BSG?

Thank you!

TruSpec and LawPro Brands, but then they treated it with an enyzme wash that desaturated the color and then they redyed it a dark Olive/Forest Green color. Its kinda of odd looking when you look at the screen used stuff.

Most of the stuff you get from Propper is to light green (almost sage) in color.

The fabric is 100% Cotton RipStop.

What is the correct shape and size of the shoulder panels?

Thank you very much for the help! :excl:

Thanks even for the tutorial!

http://www.scifihero.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8251

This should help. Remember this is the finished size for the panels, so when you cut the fabric out, leave about 1/2" around it so you can fold those over.

BSGshoulderpanelguide.jpg

Just need to ask :)