ScifiHero.NET
JoJo

Crew undershirts...

This forum seems to be about dead, though I though I'd ask anyways.

About the undershirts worn in bsg, do these seem close to you?

http://www.clothingwarehouse.com/909-anvil.html

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_0...20070921x00003a

The material used in the second shirt looks a bit off, though I'm not trying to make a serious costume, just to re-create the look in my warderobe. Or do you know of some close looking shirts for sale? thanks!

The first shirt seems okay. (Those are hard to reproduce because Production used a solid gray material, instead of the far too common heather gray you find everywhere.)

The second one, no, not so much.

I know a lot of folks have gotten theirs from Aradani Costumes: http://www.aradanicostumes.com/cp_undershirt.php

You would want the brown/olive version, not the black version. They did a lot of work to get the colouring of the racerback just right, and it is in fact incredibly close to the real ones. I have a set of theirs and am really quite pleased with them.

There are some new guys out there, too, Anovos: http://anovos.com/battlestar-galactica/

They haven't updated their blog since January, so I haven't the slightest idea when any of their products are going to hit the market.

But if you really don't care, I suppose any gray muscle shirt and black racerback tank will do. We'll get the idea.

Thanks for the link!

Though I'll probably see if any stores around here have anything, it was just yesterday I realized the racer top I posted is made of that athletic material with the holes.

The important thing to know is that the undershirt and the tanktop were made by BSG costuming, they were not store bought. So anything you find at Target or Wal-Mart or whatever is not going to be correct.

If you have any sewing ability then these are extremely simple garments to make, if not then Hell's Kitten gave you some good options.

I agree.

However I have noticed that Aaron Douglas as chief Tyrol always seems to be wearing a standard gray T-shirt. With the short sleeves and without the reversed racerback top.

tyroltshirt.jpg

Any theories as to why this may be?

... cuz... he's... special...?

Aaron had a bunch of different style shirts throughout the series, including long sleeve grays.

He's the Chief.

He does that.

Or maybe it was a comfort thing. You don't want your cast miserable all the time because of costuming... (?)

Yeah, I noticed his long sleeved sweater too, like when he was in the Pegasus brig... I think I heard he wore that because he didn't to embarass Helo by showing off his pecs.

Yeah, I noticed his long sleeved sweater too, like when he was in the Pegasus brig... I think I heard he wore that because he didn't to embarass Helo by showing off his pecs.

:lol: Ha!

Yes, I'm sure that's it... :blink:

Well anyway, it shows you can also get away with wearing a standard gray undershirt and still be SA for Galactica. Just won't look as iconic though...

I got the set of 2 from Aradani and they're pretty nice. Kind of spendy, but accurate. And, I ordered late, and they still

got them to me BEFORE I left for Dragoncon, so that should say something for them. :)

Russ

I seem to remember a discussion somewhere (either here or on Dewback Wing ASAP) that the BSG undershirts were NOT heather gray (which is what is shown on the Aradani website) but a solid gray....

I believe it was Dave (DSW_777) who identified a Champion shirt that came really close to the solid gray that you see on the show - the champion shirt had a couple of extra detailing in the underarm area and in the back neck area, but otherwise would be as close to canon as you can get

also, was the question ever resolved whether the BSG tanks were black or olive in color? I noticed that Aradani had them in both colors....

I got the custom made olive ones that someone with Dewback Wing was selling a while back....(the tag on them says KDJ)...

I seem to remember a discussion somewhere (either here or on Dewback Wing ASAP) that the BSG undershirts were NOT heather gray (which is what is shown on the Aradani website) but a solid gray....

Aye, the undershirts are a (custom dyed) solid gray.

also, was the question ever resolved whether the BSG tanks were black or olive in color? I noticed that Aradani had them in both colors....

I got the custom made olive ones that someone with Dewback Wing was selling a while back....(the tag on them says KDJ)...

They're... um... neither. It's another custom dye job. I helped Aradani with the colour match, since I got a set of Kara's from the first live BSG auction. The colour is annoying in that it changes in different lighting. It's a mix of brown, green, gray... er... difficult to explain. Heh. Maybe more of a brownish-olive? Sorry. I'll stop trying to explain now.

Here's a photo I took a little while back to help show the differences. Kara's set is on the top, Aradani's first attempt at the colouring is on the bottom:

3629782715_e4edd8be87.jpg

I also managed to dye one of Aradani's tanks to a closer match, and I have the recipe around here somewhere......

Anyhow, hope that helps.

yeah, the BSG folks like to play with colors that have different undertones

if you look at the duty blues, there are grey, black and even white tones to the material, and for the dress grays, there's a bit of brown and white to the gray as well

I think that the BSG folks not only have custom dye jobs, but they may also have certain fabrics woven just for them....the kind of subtleties you see in the color of the fabric is not easily found....

Color is one of those things that we as costumers have to wrestle with. Personally I lean towards the idea that I want the color of my costumes to be what it is that people think they see on camera. Until we had the BSG tanks in hand everyone thought they were a black/charcoal, and with the lighting on the show it still looks like that on screen.

Another example, the SFH developed blues uniforms are much bluer than the screen-used ones, which are in fact closer to a blue/gray rather than the navy blue we chose, but on camera the BSG blues look navy blue. So in person our suits IMO look closer to on screen than the screen-used ones do, and I have actually been told that by others who have seen them side-by-side at cons.

It's a personal choice really, do you want screen accurate costumes or do you want screen lookalike costumes?

Here's a photo I took a little while back to help show the differences. Kara's set is on the top, Aradani's first attempt at the colouring is on the bottom:

3629782715_e4edd8be87.jpg

I also managed to dye one of Aradani's tanks to a closer match, and I have the recipe around here somewhere......

Anyhow, hope that helps.

Excellent source material Kitten! Thank you for posting that!

I always wondered if anybody on here was able to grab some of the stuff from the auction.

But to answer Hairy43's question, I would always go for screen accurate myself. Comes from experiences I've had about how people in general see Indiana Jones.

I have found that about 80% of the people (I'm talking about 'normal' people, not fans like us) think Indiana Jones is wearing a cowboy hat.

It's a Fedora people, and yes, it looks like a gangster hat to them, and no, it does not have a leather band around it.... <_<

I always wondered if anybody on here was able to grab some of the stuff from the auction.

<_<

I managed to score two of the screen used costumes from the BSG auctions - one set of dress grays and one set of the duty blues

wore the dress grays once -for a photo op with Katee Sackhoff, who initially complimented me for doing a fantastic job on my fan costume - then I told her it was screen used, but not a hero one....

2147936140103321878S500x500Q85.jpg

have yet to wear the duty blues, but did display it at Starfest this year (you can see it hanging behind Dan)

2909124360103321878S500x500Q85.jpg

reason why it was hanging and not displayed on a mannequin was because my female half-mannequin was being used to display a screen used seaQuest uniform....

But to answer Hairy43's question, I would always go for screen accurate myself. Comes from experiences I've had about how people in general see Indiana Jones.

I have found that about 80% of the people (I'm talking about 'normal' people, not fans like us) think Indiana Jones is wearing a cowboy hat.

It's a Fedora people, and yes, it looks like a gangster hat to them, and no, it does not have a leather band around it.... <_>

When it comes to the physical appearance/shape of something I agree totally, especially found items. I was referring only to color where there is frequently a difference between what a color looks like on screen versus what it looks like in real life.

Going back to the tanktops example, I see people at cons all the time who are not hardcore costumers but threw together a quickie BSG costume and their tanktops are always black/charcoal.

When it comes to the physical appearance/shape of something I agree totally, especially found items. I was referring only to color where there is frequently a difference between what a color looks like on screen versus what it looks like in real life.

Going back to the tanktops example, I see people at cons all the time who are not hardcore costumers but threw together a quickie BSG costume and their tanktops are always black/charcoal.

A good example of this are the uniforms from both TOS Trek and TNG; Kirk's uniform appears mustard yellow onscreen but supposedly, in person they were closer to green. On TNG the blue med/science uniforms were supposed to have been more of an aqua or something and not the blue that we see on screen. Me personally, I'm with Dean on this sort of thing, I rather screen accurate as in accurate to what you see on your TV or movie screen rather than what you would actually see on set. But then again, I've never been much of a purist or one for strict adherence to canon. For instance, if I were to ever to do a Stormtrooper costume I wouldn't put any decals on the helmet but instead use mesh or something to try to mimic what they were supposed to be and not what they actually were.

Anovos does very nice work and I own a set of their BSG Undershirts and I've been very happy with them.

Anovos does very nice work and I own a set of their BSG Undershirts and I've been very happy with them.

So I've been wondering if anyone has some personal experiences with Anovos and/or the Aradoni makes. I'd love to get my hands on at least one tank (maybe another for my mate) but I wasn't sure where to go with all the options. I've done a lot of searching and reading on the site, but was really hoping someone could vouch for one production line or the other (or just say it's not worth it, try to make one) haha.

Cheers

So I've been wondering if anyone has some personal experiences with Anovos and/or the Aradoni makes. I'd love to get my hands on at least one tank (maybe another for my mate) but I wasn't sure where to go with all the options. I've done a lot of searching and reading on the site, but was really hoping someone could vouch for one production line or the other (or just say it's not worth it, try to make one) haha.

Cheers

Well, Anovos has the advantage in that they're officially licensed and should be dead on accurate. But you do pay for all of that and, like most licensed products, pricey for what you get. I haven't heard any complains about about the Aradonis but they may not be as accurate as the Anovos but I imagine that they're cheaper.

Well, Anovos has the advantage in that they're officially licensed and should be dead on accurate. But you do pay for all of that and, like most licensed products, pricey for what you get. I haven't heard any complains about about the Aradonis but they may not be as accurate as the Anovos but I imagine that they're cheaper.

Yeah, the Aradonis are a good $20 cheaper. Some of the members here make the sewing look easy.. I've tried to sew things before, and I get the general idea; I'm just not confident in my skills and I'd like something that looks good. If anyone could share a picture of their Aradonis top I would really appreciate it, otherwise I might just have to fork up the cash for the Anovos one before the window closes. Thanks!