New BSG Tactical Pistol Rig Belt

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Honcho

Honcho

Founder & President, SciFiHero.Net

• President
  • 6,121 posts
  • Interests:Costuming and Prop Building, Science Fiction, Stargate SG & Atlantis, FireFly, Star Wars, Star Trek, Resident Evil (movies), Blade, S:AAB, Starship Troopers, Aliens, Appleseed, Lara Croft, and swing dancing.

Posted 03 October 2006 - 10:08 PM

Some of you might have already tried this. Get the funky buckle on to your 2" wide police tactical belt.

I started with the belt I got from MD Carlton in Canada... After about an hour of trying to get the buckle on, I gave up. I figured I would have to remove the edging tape and then cut down the belt to about 1.75" wide and then sew the edging tape back into place.

Well today, I went to Cheaper Than Dirt in Fort Worth and got one of their $9.95 police tactical 2" belts that came with two sideways pistol mag pouches.

Step one: I removed the pouches from the belt.

Step two: I unfolded the end of the belt and removed the Side release buckle.

Step three: I placed the end of one of the sides of the belt into the buckle, making sure the correct side (the side without the writing) was face up.

Step four: I used pliers to pull the end though the tight opening of the buckle.

Step five: I got the buckle where I wanted and then folded in closed.

Step six: Repeat other side.

Step seven: Position buckle so it fits properly when you close the belt.

That's it!

Now if only my pouches would show up!

#2 CaptAres

CaptAres

SG1 RULES/LONG LIVE SG-1/BATTLESTAR GALACTICA RULES SPACE

• Members
  • 1,820 posts
  • Interests:Costuming and Prop Building, Science Fiction, Stargate SG-1 & Atlantis,Star Wars, Star Trek, Resident Evil, Blade,Starship Troopers,Battlestar Galactica(old & new)

Posted 03 October 2006 - 10:12 PM

Wow pretty cool

#3 Blackhawk

Blackhawk

SG-7 team Leader and Atlantis F-302 Squadron Leader

• Team Leader
  • 428 posts
  • Interests:Costuming, computers, and Photography

Posted 04 October 2006 - 03:45 AM

My question is : Where did you find the buckle?

#4 Hairy43

Hairy43
  • Vice President
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 11:07 AM

QUOTE (Blackhawk @ Oct 4 2006, 04:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My question is : Where did you find the buckle?

Well I'm happy to say that this was one of my discoveries. After many exhaustive searches done by several people, including myself, over at ASAP I finally figured out the correct search terms to find that bloody buckle. No small thanks to the guys at ASAP.

The buckle is made by AustriAlpin and can be seen HERE. It is a paragliding/parachuting harness buckle. Search for Austrialpin Cobra Buckle, the model number is FC45B.

I got my buckle at Torrey Pines Gliderport website, but I don't see the exact buckle on there at the moment.

#5 DuneMuadDib

DuneMuadDib

Sandman

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 11:50 AM

You think the work for that is bad try getting a Bianchi 1.75" belt to fit. Those suckers are THICK. The male half was a such a pain. On the plus side there's no the bunching at the buckle like on Dan's belt because mine's not as wide. On the minus side the belt fed though the male end is shreaded to death (fortunately covered by pouches).

Will have to post pics later, it's really cool. Just need to get around to scratchbuilding a holster for my FN blaster.

#6 Honcho

Honcho

• President
  • 6,121 posts
  • Interests:Costuming and Prop Building, Science Fiction, Stargate SG &amp; Atlantis, FireFly, Star Wars, Star Trek, Resident Evil (movies), Blade, S:AAB, Starship Troopers, Aliens, Appleseed, Lara Croft, and swing dancing.

Posted 17 October 2006 - 10:09 PM

OK, finally my pouches arrived from Viking and here they are:

The Pager pouch that become the USB port pouch:

ASP Baton case (which looks to be the wrong pouch):

The single mag pouch:

The double mag pouch:

The Hand cuff pouch with latex glove pouch:

Now on the belt:

For the belt keepers, I pushed them over to the inside of the belt and it looked just like on the show:

#7 CaptAres

CaptAres

• Members
  • 1,820 posts
  • Interests:Costuming and Prop Building, Science Fiction, Stargate SG-1 &amp; Atlantis,Star Wars, Star Trek, Resident Evil, Blade,Starship Troopers,Battlestar Galactica(old &amp; new)

Posted 17 October 2006 - 10:11 PM

Dan thats great how much were those and the belt

#8 Honcho

Honcho

• President
  • 6,121 posts
  • Interests:Costuming and Prop Building, Science Fiction, Stargate SG &amp; Atlantis, FireFly, Star Wars, Star Trek, Resident Evil (movies), Blade, S:AAB, Starship Troopers, Aliens, Appleseed, Lara Croft, and swing dancing.

Posted 17 October 2006 - 10:49 PM

QUOTE (Nighthawk/WildK @ Oct 18 2006, 01:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dan thats great how much were those and the belt

The belt came from Cheaper than dirt and cost about $16.00 with extra pouches. The pouched seen in this stuff are from MD Charlton through Viking. The pouched ran about $250.00 CAD.

#9 Templar

Templar
  • Team Leader
  • 779 posts
  • Interests:Videogames, movies, tv.<br /><br />Research and construction.

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:28 AM

*groans*

Oh man, $16?

I paid almost three times that at my local surplus store for my Smith and Wesson "police belt" as they called it. *They don't really know what they carry at the best of times*

Looks the same as your belt Dan, I might just have to add that belt to my list of "Things to make".

It's not like they make for a good SG vest belt, trust me. Falling backward at a con, with my belt open made it bend into a point and jabbed me in the back.

#10 CaptAres

CaptAres

• Members
  • 1,820 posts
  • Interests:Costuming and Prop Building, Science Fiction, Stargate SG-1 &amp; Atlantis,Star Wars, Star Trek, Resident Evil, Blade,Starship Troopers,Battlestar Galactica(old &amp; new)

Posted 18 October 2006 - 07:59 AM

not to bad dan thats cheap I might give that a try

#11 Honcho

Honcho

• President
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 10:41 AM

OK, next tutorial on the Frakin' rig...

How to turn the pager pouch into the BSG USB quad port pouch (and not buy another handcuff pouch):

Step 1: Take your pager pouch and open it up

Step 2: Cut the top flap almost off, but don't cut the edging tape on one side intact.

Step 3: Remove the edging tape from around the partly cut off flap

Step 4: Finish cutting the top flap off

Step 5: Remove velcro from back of the flap

Step 6: Cut the edging tape so part can be used for to line the flap and part can line the back of the pouch that was cut when the flap was removed.

Step 7: Sew the edging tape on the back of the flap

Step 8: Sew the edging tape on the sides of of the pouch.

Step 9: Glue down the edging onto the cut edge of the pouch

Step 10: Sew the final stitched

Step 11: The page pouch top flap, take it and put it under the latex glove pouch flap on the handcuff flap.

Step 12: Trace the shape of the latex glove pouch flap on to the pager pouch flap

Step 13: Cut the pager flap down to match the latex glove pouch flap

Step 14: Take the velcro that was cut from the pager pouch flap and sew it to back of the cut pager pouch flap

Step 15: Take the edging tape from the pager flap and sew it back on all around the edge.

Step 16: Sew the newly modified pager flap to the front edge of the cut pager pouch

And this is what you get:

Take your quad USB port and with the darkside facing the front insert into the pager pouch

And put it on your belt!

#12 Hairy43

Hairy43
  • Vice President
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 11:15 AM

Love it, that looks very good indeed. I'll give this a try soon and see if I can't get the "bars" shrunk down a little and moved.

#13 DuneMuadDib

DuneMuadDib

Sandman

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 11:17 AM

Great tutorial, Dan! I wasn't sure how to go about modding my pouch, you're a lifesaver.

#14 Honcho

Honcho

• President
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 12:10 PM

I also did the handcuff/latex glove pouch already, I just need to post up the pictures and text.

#15 DuneMuadDib

DuneMuadDib

Sandman

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 12:20 PM

You're my hero!

Now where's a tutorial on a season 2 sidearm holster? tongue.gif

#16 Honcho

Honcho

• President
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 01:56 PM

QUOTE (DuneMuadDib @ Oct 18 2006, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're my hero!

Now where's a tutorial on a season 2 sidearm holster? tongue.gif

Actually I need more and better pictures of the holsters.

#17 Honcho

Honcho

• President
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 01:16 PM

OK, Next Tutorial part... The Frakkin Handcuff pouch with latex glove pouch conversion:

Step 1: Take you Frakkin' expensive handcuff pouch with latex glove pouch and cut off the edging tape from the handcuff pouch. Leave the part covering the flap with the latex glove pouch intact.

Step 2: Cut off the flap with the latex glove pouch off. (in the picture its cut off at an angle, but later I just cut right across the top even with the top of the latex glove flap), the tapper cut the top corners so you end up with a superman diamond like shape.

Step 3: Glue the inside of the edging tape around the top of the latex glove flap about 3/4" and press it in place so it is even with the top edge
PICTURE BEING REDONE

Step 4: Cut the edging tape around the top of the latex glove flap so it is even with the top edge
PICTURE BEING REDONE

Step 5: Then sew it down and trim. It should look like this when you are done

Step 6: Cut off the belt attachment straps from the back of the handcuff pouch

Step 7: Take the strap, it has velcro sewn on it, find the fuzzy side, let the strap hang down with the fuzzy side is against the velcro (hook side) on the back of the latex glove flap/pouch.

Step 8: Take the hanging end of the strap, and folding strap up to the top of the flap/pouch

Step 9: Line up the bottom of the velcro on the straps just above the top of the pouch and sew in place

Step 10: Cut the hook side velcro end off of the top of the latex glove pouch

This is what you should end up with:

Step 11: Burn to seal the top of the nylon and edging tape to keep them from fraying

Step 12: Put newly contructed latex glove pouch on to your tactical belt

And repeat for the second handcuff with latex glove pouch.

#18 CaptAres

CaptAres

• Members
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 10:36 AM

dan the man dude that is awsome

#19 DuneMuadDib

DuneMuadDib

Sandman

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 11:09 AM

Desperately need a sewing machine. I was trying to get all these done for a party tonight along with a holster and my fingers hurt too much for me to have any further inclination.

Thanks for posting this, Dan. Gave me the nerve to hack up those pouches to make them more accurate.

#20 Honcho

Honcho

• President
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 12:21 PM

I found a tactical nylon "wrap around" holster at my local surplus store, I'm going to try to see if I can't get the Season 2 BSG pistol to work in it, as well as the Genii (TimeCop) Pistol. I'll take some pictures soon before moding it for my BSG rig.

#21 Zapheus

Zapheus
  • Members
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:Stargate SG1 and Atlantis, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, and Firefly

Posted 08 October 2007 - 09:46 PM

Since the MD Charlton duty gear has been discontinued, has anyone found anything similar that can be substituted?

#22 Honcho

Honcho

• President
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 12:08 AM

Some people are just using any nylon police pouches, but I suggest using "molded" nylon pouches since they would be closer. I think Bianchi makes a pretty nice rig. Or if you are on a budget, try Cheaperthanddirt.com, and look for there cheap nylon police tactical belt with pouches.

#23 stmike73

stmike73
  • Members
  • 127 posts
  • Interests:Scifi, Costuming and Props, History, Paranormal Research and Investigation.

Posted 30 May 2008 - 11:04 AM

QUOTE (lostncybr @ Nov 28 2007, 12:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Some people are just using any nylon police pouches, but I suggest using "molded" nylon pouches since they would be closer. I think Bianchi makes a pretty nice rig. Or if you are on a budget, try Cheaperthanddirt.com, and look for there cheap nylon police tactical belt with pouches.

Bianchi makes a series of duty gear called "Accumold" which is very close to the stuff Dan ordered but not as expensive. It's available through most police supply dealers. It's not exact but it's pretty close.

#24 jclark511

jclark511
  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:13 PM

Where does one get that nifty quad USB hub?

#25 Galactica Actual

Galactica Actual
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:38 PM

QUOTE (jclark511 @ Oct 10 2012, 11:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I too would like to know what brand and where to purchase please!!!

#26 Toby Ziegler

Toby Ziegler

SFH Social Media Administrator

• Executive Council
  • 355 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:24 PM

QUOTE (jclark511 @ Oct 11 2012, 12:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (Galactica Actual @ Feb 4 2013, 09:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I too would like to know what brand and where to purchase please!!!

Dan Kim (the original poster) would be the man to ask. I checked the flightsuit costume guides, but it doesn't appear to be listed. Shoot him a PM and I'm sure he'll give you the make/model of what he's using there.

#27 Honcho

Honcho

• President
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:58 PM

It is the Sakar iConcepts 75052 4-port USB hub:

#28 Galactica Actual

Galactica Actual
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:04 PM

QUOTE (lostncybr @ Feb 6 2013, 01:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is the Sakar iConcepts 75052 4-port USB hub:

Thanks so much for the info. can't wait for my anovos belt to get here.

Any info on the NON generic bag holsters would be appreciated...I am fairly new to this.

Been doing Medieval and Roman reenactment for years and I have to say this beats getting hit, as I get older.

#29 Honcho

Honcho

• President
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE (Galactica Actual @ Feb 8 2013, 12:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Any info on the NON generic bag holsters would be appreciated...I am fairly new to this.

You mean the skulletal hard plastic holster used for the "Clamshell" season 1 pistol? Let us say, "I know a guy..." wink.gif