Vipersuit!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Bountys Hunted

Bountys Hunted

Sci-Fi Costuming Fanatic

• Members
  • 526 posts
  • Interests:Backpacking, Camping, Karate, D&amp;D, DDO, Colonial Marines LotR, Superheroes, Star Wars, Stargate, Starship Troopers,<br />Halo (Game and Armor), loving life!!

Posted 05 April 2008 - 03:49 PM

Here it is, fresh pics from New Caprica!

#2 marauder5

marauder5
  • Members
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:I've been making Harry Potter replica props for a while, and I'm planning on doing some BSG gun replicas soon. I draw custom sketch cards, and I also have the weird hobby of customising My Little Pony's. Truly frightening I know, but I'm a girl. Check my web address to see both.

Posted 12 April 2008 - 06:16 PM

Looks great! I like that you went with the senior wings. I may do that myself. Colonels still fly occasionally, right? Maybe? Oh who cares, I'm doing it.

#3 Bountys Hunted

Bountys Hunted

Sci-Fi Costuming Fanatic

• Members
  • 526 posts
  • Interests:Backpacking, Camping, Karate, D&amp;D, DDO, Colonial Marines LotR, Superheroes, Star Wars, Stargate, Starship Troopers,<br />Halo (Game and Armor), loving life!!

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:20 AM

Thanks much!! Yeah, I figured there's lots of Captains and Lt's running around, and I really liked the looks of the senior wings, so that worked for me! smile.gif

With the shortage of pilots, I think that there's always an opportunity for Colonels and Majors to fly!!

#4 callisto

callisto
  • Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:59 PM

Major's fly but they dont get senior pilot wings..,,

#5 dsw_777

dsw_777

EGGROLL

• Executive Council
  • 1,242 posts
  • Interests:Fun, fun and did I mention fun?

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:35 PM

Here's something interesting. When Apollo was commander of the Pegasus, he didn't have senior wings.

However his dad has senior wings as commander of the Galactica...

I wonder when you get your senior wings... Age 65?

#6 Hairy43

Hairy43
  • Vice President
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:30 AM

QUOTE (dsw_777 @ Apr 15 2008, 12:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, my father-in-law got his with his first social security check. tongue.gif

I'm sure this was just a costuming mistake, but there was that one female pilot of Pegasus that was wearing seniors, couldn't have been more than 30 years old.

#7 Rook

Rook

In space, no one can hear you scream...

• Administrators
  • 3,268 posts
  • Interests:Aliens (1986), Stargate, Space: Above and Beyond, Arcade games, movie props... lots of stuff. ^_^

Look me up on facebook.

Posted 15 April 2008 - 02:59 PM

Well, they did a lot of recycling on the Pegasus... maybe they the recycled Senior pilots as well.

Just hopefully not into Soylent Green. biggrin.gif

Russ

#8 callisto

callisto
  • Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 01:12 PM

QUOTE (dsw_777 @ Apr 15 2008, 08:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's something interesting. When Apollo was commander of the Pegasus, he didn't have senior wings.

I wonder if its a thing as soon as you stop flying once youve become a rank where you dont fly, cos youve got to much to do as commanding - and the senior pin is like a medal of honour.....

#9 Riceball

Riceball

SFH Site Administrator

• Administrators
  • 5,307 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 01:31 PM

QUOTE (callisto @ Apr 16 2008, 02:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wonder if it's a thing as soon as you stop flying once you've become a rank where you don't fly, because you've got too much to do as commanding - and the senior pin is like a medal of honour.

That's the way that it works in the US military, once you've reached a certain rank and position the only thing that you'll fly is a desk. Part of has to do with the responsibilities involved in command and part of it has to do with age and the way your reflexes and vision tend to go down with age. However, as a US Colonel (Captain in the USN) you're generally not quite completely grounded yet, you just fly your desk much more than you fly your plane is all. For instance, the commander of the air wing onboard a US carrier (CAG) is a 4 stripe Captain (same rank as the ship's captain) and while he handles mostly administrative duties he is rated to fly each aircraft onboard the carrier and there is one plane for each type that is reserved for the CAG for those occasions that he finds the time/need to fly.

As for the senior wings, I don't think that they're merely decoration like a medal but a real qualification badge like the junior wings except that it indicates that the pilot wearing them is a pilot with much more experience/hours than a pilot wearing a set of junior wings. This is much like the US Air Force and Army where they have 2 or 3 different levels of qualification badges (flight wings, jump wings, CIB, etc.) depending on how much flight time you've had. The first wings you earn is what you get after passing flight school, jump school or what have you, then once you've exceeded so many flight hours, or jumps you a different set of wings marking you as a Senior Pilot, Jumper or whatever, then after so many more hours/jumps you get your Master wings. This is probably the model what RDM was following with the junior and senior wings in BSG although the Navy & Marine Corps don't use that system and RDM has a Navy background.

#10 Bountys Hunted

Bountys Hunted

Sci-Fi Costuming Fanatic

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 09:08 AM

THAT...works for me!! Us "Seniors" get Senior Wings!!! Woooooooo-Hoooooooo!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Thanks Riceball!

#11 WebChief

WebChief
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 04:53 PM

Looks frakkin' awesome Rex!

#12 Groovy

Groovy
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 10:43 AM

QUOTE (dsw_777 @ Apr 15 2008, 01:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cain had senior wings.

Attached Files

#13 Bountys Hunted

Bountys Hunted

Sci-Fi Costuming Fanatic

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 11:55 AM

QUOTE (WebChief @ Apr 18 2008, 05:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looks frakkin' awesome Rex!

Thanks Bob! I really, really like it...I like it alot! smile.gif

Here's a Cylon blastin' pic!

"You're the fifth Cylon?! Bummer!!" Blam! Blam!

#14 adicat

adicat
  • Members
  • 807 posts
  • Interests:playing w my monsters, costuming, zombies!, Milla Jovovich, anything fantasy of sci fi. esp. SW, SG1, (almost anything filmed in Van. actually) needlework, painting, silkscreen.... <br /><br /><br />oh, i have two diplomas, one in Art and one in Library and Information Services. <br /><br />and i like to do my art at night, so i sleep after my kids go to school...

Posted 21 April 2008 - 09:35 PM

QUOTE (Riceball @ Apr 16 2008, 02:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's the way that it works in the US military, once you've reached a certain rank and position the only thing that you'll fly is a desk. Part of has to do with the responsibilities involved in command and part of it has to do with age and the way your reflexes and vision tend to go down with age. However, as a US Colonel (Captain in the USN) you're generally not quite completely grounded yet, you just fly your desk much more than you fly your plane is all. For instance, the commander of the air wing onboard a US carrier (CAG) is a 4 stripe Captain (same rank as the ship's captain) and while he handles mostly administrative duties he is rated to fly each aircraft onboard the carrier and there is one plane for each type that is reserved for the CAG for those occasions that he finds the time/need to fly.

As for the senior wings, I don't think that they're merely decoration like a medal but a real qualification badge like the junior wings except that it indicates that the pilot wearing them is a pilot with much more experience/hours than a pilot wearing a set of junior wings. This is much like the US Air Force and Army where they have 2 or 3 different levels of qualification badges (flight wings, jump wings, CIB, etc.) depending on how much flight time you've had. The first wings you earn is what you get after passing flight school, jump school or what have you, then once you've exceeded so many flight hours, or jumps you a different set of wings marking you as a Senior Pilot, Jumper or whatever, then after so many more hours/jumps you get your Master wings. This is probably the model what RDM was following with the junior and senior wings in BSG although the Navy & Marine Corps don't use that system and RDM has a Navy background.

you sure do know alot of stuff!!!! that was interesting!