BSG Flightsuit: How-To Guides?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 nealiusss

nealiusss
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:20 AM

I'm pretty late into getting into this stuff, but I'm interested in putting together a BSG flightsuit. I've done some web searching and looked at the guides here, but the guides only go as far as what kind of materials you need, where to get them, and they provide some reference pictures. What I haven't been able to find are instructions for actually putting the thing together. My sewing experience is limited to putting on patches, so cutting the fabric, putting it all together, and sewing it together are completely new to me. Does anyone know of any step-by-step guides?

Also, I noticed that the majority of the materials are not sold anymore. Are there any good alternative materials that are "close enough"?

Thanks

#2 Honcho

Honcho

Founder & President, SciFiHero.Net

• President
  • 6,121 posts
  • Interests:Costuming and Prop Building, Science Fiction, Stargate SG & Atlantis, FireFly, Star Wars, Star Trek, Resident Evil (movies), Blade, S:AAB, Starship Troopers, Aliens, Appleseed, Lara Croft, and swing dancing.

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:37 AM

QUOTE (nealiusss @ Oct 16 2012, 02:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm pretty late into getting into this stuff, but I'm interested in putting together a BSG flightsuit. I've done some web searching and looked at the guides here, but the guides only go as far as what kind of materials you need, where to get them, and they provide some reference pictures. What I haven't been able to find are instructions for actually putting the thing together. My sewing experience is limited to putting on patches, so cutting the fabric, putting it all together, and sewing it together are completely new to me. Does anyone know of any step-by-step guides?

Also, I noticed that the majority of the materials are not sold anymore. Are there any good alternative materials that are "close enough"?

Thanks

You should check with folks who have done their own flight suits like Hairy42. He actually sewed his flight suit himself. Most have someone else do them because its a uber pain in the butt and the fabric is not forgiving at all.

#3 Riceball

Riceball

SFH Site Administrator

• Administrators
  • 5,307 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:55 AM

The other option is to buy the CostumeBay version and modify the hell out of them. One of our members here used to do that for people but he has since stopped, I think his screen name is DSW777, you might want to try dropping him a PM and see if you he offer you tips if you wanted to go that route. The CostumeBay suits aren't the best but modding one would save you the trouble of sewing one from scratch. You'd have to do a bit of painting to get the right look and I think the vest needed rebuilding but better a vest than the whole thing.

#4 nealiusss

nealiusss
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:00 AM

Where's the best place to pick up the CostumeBay version? Google's only results were ad sites and references leading back here.

#5 Honcho

Honcho

Founder & President, SciFiHero.Net

• President
  • 6,121 posts
  • Interests:Costuming and Prop Building, Science Fiction, Stargate SG &amp; Atlantis, FireFly, Star Wars, Star Trek, Resident Evil (movies), Blade, S:AAB, Starship Troopers, Aliens, Appleseed, Lara Croft, and swing dancing.

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:07 PM

Costume Bay
Costume Base

Same stuff.

#6 nealiusss

nealiusss
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:27 PM

Ah, that clears it up. Looks like they're all out of BSG stuff though.

If all else fails I'll just fall back on the BDU route. Those look much easier to make.

#7 Riceball

Riceball

SFH Site Administrator

• Administrators
  • 5,307 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:29 PM

QUOTE (nealiusss @ Oct 17 2012, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where's the best place to pick up the CostumeBay version? Google's only results were ad sites and references leading back here.

eBay, the actual seller might be CostumeBase. Be forewarned though, it's about 50% accurate at best and it will require a bit of work to get it yo about 95% accurate which is about the closest it's going to get due to the fabric used and the overall construction. The benefit of going with this option is that it's cheaper and easier to mod it than to have one made from scratch or trying to sew your own from scratch. Like I said previously, be sure to try PMing DSW777 for tips and advice on what to do, you could also try searching around here for his posts on modding these flightsuits, I think there's a thread here, somewhere where he discusses what he does to mod the flightsuits to make them more accurate.

#8 TopGunSGA

TopGunSGA
  • Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:38 AM

I just did a quick ebay search under Battlestar Cosplay and came up with these resulits

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item5ae2b656b7

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item231825f775

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3a787094f6

The top linked one seems to be the best of the bunch but would still need alot of work and new bits and pieces.

#9 Riceball

Riceball

SFH Site Administrator

• Administrators
  • 5,307 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:15 AM

QUOTE (TopGunSGA @ Oct 18 2012, 05:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just did a quick ebay search under Battlestar Cosplay and came up with these resulits

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item5ae2b656b7

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item231825f775

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3a787094f6

The top linked one seems to be the best of the bunch but would still need alot of work and new bits and pieces.

Wow, the quality of these Asian knockoffs have gotten really bad, I mean the old Costume Base ones were never all that great but they at least got the color and material nearly correct and the vest was a hundred times better. The old CB ones were about on par, maybe slightly better, than what you would expect from a higher end Ruby's costume, these are more like the stuff being sold at Halloween costume shops, and for far less too.

I agree with TopGun, the first is the best of the lot, but that's not saying much. If you went with the first one I'd highly recommend painting/dying it the correct color, basically do the reverse of what you do if it were green. Instead of painting different colors and highlights over the green I'd paint it green and leave some of the original coloring for weathering.

#10 Rook

Rook

In space, no one can hear you scream...

• Administrators
  • 3,268 posts
  • Interests:Aliens (1986), Stargate, Space: Above and Beyond, Arcade games, movie props... lots of stuff. ^_^

Look me up on facebook.

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:34 AM

Yeah, the most recent versions are REEEEEAAALLLLYYY bad compared to even how they used to be.

One downside with the original CB suits was how thin the material was that they were made out of.
They had a tendency to tear quite easily at the joints. But, they were MUCH nicer and closer in color
than the current ones.

If you want a ready-to-wear suit made from the original fabric, or close fabric, expect to pay around $1,000 or so.