5 replies to this topic

#1 Dewka

Dewka
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:501st Legion, scale model building, photography, costuming

Posted 16 June 2009 - 03:04 PM

hello!
I know I am getting in rather late now that the show has ended (what will I DO with my Friday nights now???) I am new and have been reading the forums for the last couple of weeks, I am beginning a deck crewman uniform. I work on aircraft as my full time job, so this is a natural costume for me and I plan to carry some of my more unusual and interesting special tools in my vest. I am with the 501st Legion as well so a lot of my time has gone into finishing another costume recently.

I already have the RedKap coveralls and the yellow and silver reflective material. I will be putting in my order with Canal Rubber for the vest material and I located the right gloves in a local store.
I recieved two patches in the mail yesterday from Patchgeeks, but I am not very happy with either one of them. One is a woven mustard color and the other is a gold foil which to my tired eyes just does not look right.

I don't have access to much of the forum but from what I can see, neither of these patches are correct.
I will be picking up the tank and shirt soon, and if needed I will dye to match, as well as the cranial and headphones.

If anyone can guide me in the direction of a canon knuckledragger shoulder patch, I would be most thankful!

David

#2 dsw_777

dsw_777

EGGROLL

• Executive Council
  • 1,242 posts
  • Interests:Fun, fun and did I mention fun?

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:09 PM

I was about to post this in the SFH BSG patch sale thread. Get a hold of lostncybr. He sells BSG patches. The color is almost perfect when compared to one using the same material. Use one teaspoon of RIT pearl grey in a steal mixing bowl and a couple of cups of hot water. Soak for a minute or two then rinse in cold water. Let dry and you'll have a really close match.

#3 Dewka

Dewka
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 03:45 PM

Sweet!
Thanks for the solid info. I will PM him. I still have the vest and boots to purchase but I sat down at the sewing machine and stitched the silver reflective tape and that came out well, and I found black snaps from Tandy. So, a couple more pieces and I will be well on my way.

Thanks again!!

____________________EDIT--------------
I cant find the thread you mention so I will have to assume that is in the base exchange. If your forums work anything like the 501st forums I would have to be a full member in order to access them.

is full membership of some sort required to access the rest of the forum?

thanks

#4 dsw_777

dsw_777

EGGROLL

• Executive Council
  • 1,242 posts
  • Interests:Fun, fun and did I mention fun?

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:42 AM

QUOTE (Dewka @ Jun 18 2009, 04:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sweet!
Thanks for the solid info. I will PM him. I still have the vest and boots to purchase but I sat down at the sewing machine and stitched the silver reflective tape and that came out well, and I found black snaps from Tandy. So, a couple more pieces and I will be well on my way.

Thanks again!!

____________________EDIT--------------
I cant find the thread you mention so I will have to assume that is in the base exchange. If your forums work anything like the 501st forums I would have to be a full member in order to access them.

is full membership of some sort required to access the rest of the forum?

thanks

Patch thread in the sale section:

http://www.scifihero...?showtopic=4550

#5 Riceball

Riceball

SFH Site Administrator

• Administrators
  • 5,307 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:44 AM

Don't forget the folded cuff and giant grommet at the bottom of the legs of the jumpsuit.

#6 Dewka

Dewka
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 04:25 PM

QUOTE (Riceball @ Jun 19 2009, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't forget the folded cuff and giant grommet at the bottom of the legs of the jumpsuit.

I found the proper no-tool grommet at Joanns fabric. Strange as that is, because they have pretty much phased real fabric out for cutesy prints and furniture of all things. I figured out how to do the leg cuffs too so those will appear canon.

thanks for the link! I was able to get into that. I also got ahold of lostncyber for info on his patch stock.

One month to go till I premier this. The vest material is the next purchase on Friday (payday for me!)

Thanks for the help Guys!