Photo

BSG Red Prisoner's Costume (Athena/Boomer)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Honcho

Honcho

Founder & President, SciFiHero.Net

• President
  • 6,121 posts
  • Interests:Costuming and Prop Building, Science Fiction, Stargate SG & Atlantis, FireFly, Star Wars, Star Trek, Resident Evil (movies), Blade, S:AAB, Starship Troopers, Aliens, Appleseed, Lara Croft, and swing dancing.

Posted 26 August 2007 - 09:26 PM

I thought I would share some information on a little costume project I was commissioned to do for TCF's very on Athena. She wanted a Athena/Boomer Prisoner's costume but didn't have time to do it herself in time for D*Con. She supplied the overalls.

Here are some pictures of the prisoner costume:

First you start with a Red pair of overalls with open top pockets, an elastic or banded waist. Or get a pair in white COTTON! (The pair we got was white and made 60% polyester 40% cotton).

If its not 100% Cotton, you end up using a lot of Dye.

And you get this:

So I had to run out and get two spray cans of fabric paint:

A side by side. On the left, after painted, on the right just the dye job.

After the paint job. I put an unpainted but dyed panel on it for comparison.

OK before you dye (or paint) the coveralls, remove the two chest pockets carefully:

The shoulder pen pocket:

I took one of the chest pockets that I dyed and painted

and cut into a rectangle 6" x 3.5" with the already finished pocket top as the top of the pen pocket I building. Fold over three sides (not the finished top edge) into a finished pocket that is 5" tall by 3" wide.

and is place 5" down from the shoulder seam, then pin down and sew.

The chest panels:

I used a textured but still smooth pleather black fabric material.

I drew out 2 octagons on to the back of the black fabric that measured 6" tall by 8" wide, and have 1" diagnals on each corner then added 1/2" around the sides. When I cut out the fabric, I cut out the edges near the diagnals so I could fold them over and not cause any binding or overlap.

Then I pinned the two panels down about centered between the top should seam and the "belt" reinforcement.

I sewed really close to the edge of the panels, and found that the panel materials we sticking to the foot of the sewning machine, so I used a business card between the panels and the foot of the sewning machine so it would slide nicely.

And this is what I got (after I dirtied it up with some black paint.

As a bonus, I made these too:

I went to Wal-Mat and bought these for about $4.00 each, toy metal handcuffs, then Home Depot to get a 1/5"dia metal pipe, a 1/4" dia x 12" long threaded rod, 6 locking 1/4" dia washers, two 1/4" dia locking bolts, and two capped bolts:

I cut two off two smaller pipes that were 2" long from the metal pipe. Then Assembled in this order. Left to Right: Cap bolt - Locking bolt, washer, center link on handcuff#1 chain - washer - 2" pipe - washer - center link on handcuff#2 chain - washer - 2" pipe - washer - center link on handcuff#3 chain - washer - locking bolt - Cap bolt.

Before closing off the last cap bolt, I bolted it all together and cut the end of the threaded rod about 1/4" past the end of the locking bolt, then I tightened down the cap bolt.

The final product:

The final item was one of these:

It was a learning experience. I might make some more Tri-cuffs for my BSG Marine Costume.

#2 Rook

Rook

In space, no one can hear you scream...

• Administrators
  • 3,268 posts
  • Interests:Aliens (1986), Stargate, Space: Above and Beyond, Arcade games, movie props... lots of stuff. ^_^

Look me up on facebook.

Posted 27 August 2007 - 05:44 AM

Nice tutorial Dan!

I'm not sure if it works for pleather, but you can "de-gloss" the
surface of leather by using a fine grit sandpaper. I did this to my
Indy jacket and it looks like its been lived in... for more than an
hour since getting it. wink.gif

Well done!

Russ

#3 BedlamX

BedlamX
  • Team Leader
  • 440 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 12:35 PM

You can also use 1 ply of tissue paper between the pleather/vinyl and the foot. Sew through it, then remove it with a damp washcloth (the tissue disolves and is wiped away). After all the frakkin vinyl coats I have made the last couple of years, that has worked the best for me. It also works for sewwing neoprene...as I just found out tongue.gif ).

#4 dsw_777

dsw_777

EGGROLL

• Executive Council
  • 1,242 posts
  • Interests:Fun, fun and did I mention fun?

Posted 27 August 2007 - 03:20 PM

QUOTE (BedlamX @ Aug 27 2007, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can also use 1 ply of tissue paper between the pleather/vinyl and the foot. Sew through it, then remove it with a damp washcloth (the tissue disolves and is wiped away). After all the frakkin vinyl coats I have made the last couple of years, that has worked the best for me. It also works for sewwing neoprene...as I just found out tongue.gif ).

I'll have to try this. I was using sheets of paper. LOL!

#5 foxspirit

foxspirit
  • Team Leader
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 08:39 PM

nicely done, Dan!

so, do you have photos of the TCF member IN this costume? would like to see it on a person after all your hard work!

I might try this costume - except finding a coverall/overall/flightsuit that fits me is not that easy...!

#6 Corcalina Rendar

Corcalina Rendar
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:22 AM

I would add some pictures of a Prisoner Jumpsuit used in the series to this excellent tutorial.

Remember to make the costume as a prisoner (seen in the episode 'Bastille Day') more "real", I suggest you age it.
The costumes as a prisoner of the series, such as mechanics, they are not clean and pressed, but are consumed
and dirty.

... and remember to vote for Tom Zarek! smile.gif

#7 Honcho

Honcho

Founder & President, SciFiHero.Net

• President
  • 6,121 posts
  • Interests:Costuming and Prop Building, Science Fiction, Stargate SG &amp; Atlantis, FireFly, Star Wars, Star Trek, Resident Evil (movies), Blade, S:AAB, Starship Troopers, Aliens, Appleseed, Lara Croft, and swing dancing.

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:07 AM

Yeah I aged the one I made too. I used a combination of spritzing on deluted black and brown dyes, crumpling it up and leaving out in the sun for a day or two, craping the knees, elbows and seat on the concrete to beat it up a bit.

Like the mechanics coverall, dirtying it up is very important to make it look right, otherwise you look like a bright orange carrot or pumpkin depending on your body type! wink.gif